Please join us at The School as we celebrate the opening of The Coffins of Paa Joe and the Pursuit of Happiness.
The School is a venue for special exhibitions as well as a home for the gallery’s collection. The architecture of the existing 1929 federal-revival elementary school lent itself to the vision of architect Antonio Jimenez Torrecillas. Torrecillas maximized the potential of the original structure through redesign features including a build out of the school’s gymnasium, creating a 5,000 square foot exhibition space with soaring 24-foot ceilings. A perimeter gallery rings the former gymnasium while classrooms on the second level function as more traditional exhibition spaces. In addition to the interior galleries, the property sits on five acres of land that will provide a temporary home for outdoor sculptural and site-specific installations.
This year we are pleased to welcome Company SBB, presenting a special performance of PATIENT(CE), an interdisciplinary work inspired by father daughter conversations between Company SBB founder Stefanie Batten Bland and controversial composer and film maker Ed Bland. This creation examines the structure of jazz with its formal emphasis on the eternal present. Through a collaboration with futuristic jazz ensemble Burnt Sugar the Arkestra Chamber and visual installation by Ms. Batten Bland and Alaric Hahn, PATIENT(CE) will examine the critical relationship that the musical, physical and visual arts have with space and time.
Please make careful note of the ticket options when you register, and RSVP on our events page HERE
Please join us for the celebration!
Drinks, music, and local fare
Jack Shainman Gallery will be providing a bus from New York City to Kinderhook. The bus will leave 513 West 20th Street at 11:30am. The return bus will depart Kinderhook at 6:30pm. Reservations for the bus are essential, please specify which return bus you will be taking: RSVP HERE
Kinderhook is easily accessible by car or public transportation via Amtrak. The nearest train station is in Hudson, NY. Shuttles will be provided between the train station in Hudson and The School. Reservations for the shuttle are essential
Driving directions to The School from NYC
Driving directions to The School from NYC:
1. Henry Hudson Pkwy N. (go 0.34 miles)
2. Merge onto Saw Mill River Pkwy N via the exit on the left. (go 16.09 miles)
3. Merge onto Taconic State Pkwy N via EXIT 26 toward Albany. (go 76.81 miles)
4. Exit at NY-82 Ancram/Hudson, bear right on exit ramp. (go 5.15 miles)
5. At light, go right onto Route 9H and 23. Continue to follow NY-9H.
6. Exit right onto route 21-Kinderhook (this is about a mile past the Martin Van Buren house)
7. At stop sign, go right, follow 21 over the bridge and up to the traffic light.
8. Go left at the traffic light
9. The School will be on the left, just past the church.
Driving directions to The School from Hudson
1. Start out going southeast on Columbia St/NY-23B/NY-9G toward N 5th St. Continue to follow Columbia St/NY-23
2. Turn slight left onto Green St/US-9 N/NY-23B
3. Take the 3rd left onto Fairview Ave/US-9N. Continue to follow US-9 N
4. Arrive at 25 Broad St on the right
Columbia County Regional Airport
Driving directions to The School from Columbia County Airport, 1142 New York 9H, Ghent, NY 12075
1. Start out going north on State Route 9H/NY-9H toward Lower Post Rd. (go 7.15 miles)
2. Turn right. - 0.9 miles past Fischer Rd
3. Take the 1st right onto McCagg Rd/County Hwy-21. Continue to follow County Hwy-21.
4. Turn left onto Broad St/US-9 S.
5. 25 BROAD ST is on the left.
LOCAL CAR AND TAXI SERVICES:
Green Bee We Taxi & Errand Service
S Taxi Inc.
Budget Accomodations and Hotels
In Valatie, about 5 minutes from Kinderhook:
In Chatham, about 15 minutes from Kinderhook:
The Chatham B&B: http://www.thechathambandb.com/