Please join us to celebrate the opening of
EL ANATSUI at THE SCHOOL
Sunday, May 17, 2015
25 Broad Street, Kinderhook, NY 12106
On Sunday, May 17th, the gallery will celebrate the first anniversary of The School with an exhibition of work by El Anatsui that will be on view through September 26, 2015. The solo exhibition will be a comprehensive survey, from early projects in painting, wood, and clay, to the monumental metal works for which Anatsui is renowned. The School’s 24-foot ceilings will highlight the majestic scale that has become a hallmark of his oeuvre.
The School is a venue for special exhibitions as well as a home for the gallery’s collection. The architecture of the existing 1929 federal-revival elementary school lent itself to the vision of architect Antonio Jimenez Torrecillas. Torrecillas maximized the potential of the original structure through redesign features including a build out of the school’s gymnasium, creating a 5,000 square foot exhibition space with soaring 24-foot ceilings. A perimeter gallery rings the former gymnasium while classrooms on the second level function as more traditional exhibition spaces. In addition to the interior galleries, the property sits on five acres of land that will provide a temporary home for outdoor sculptural and site-specific installations.
Please join us for the celebration!
Special musical performance by Imani Uzuri
Local food trucks and fare (Please note that some food trucks will be cash only)
Jack Shainman Gallery will be providing a bus from New York City to Kinderhook. The bus will leave 524 West 24th Street at 10:30am. Return buses will depart Kinderhook at 4:00pm and 5:00pm. Reservations for the bus are essential, please specify which return bus you will be taking: RSVP@jackshainman.com
Kinderhook is easily accessible by car or public transportation via Amtrak. The nearest train station is in Hudson, NY. Shuttles will be provided between the train station in Hudson and The School. Reservations for the shuttle are essential: RSVP@jackshainman.com
Train Schedule from New York (Penn Station) to Hudson:
Sunday, May 17, 2015
New York, NY - Penn Station (NYP) to Hudson, NY (HUD)
10:20am - 12:18pm, duration 1 hr, 58 min 281 Empire Service
11:20am - 1:20pm, duration 2 hr, 0 min 233 Empire Service
1:20pm - 3:20pm, duration 2 hr, 0 min 283 Empire Service
Return Train Schedule from Hudson to New York (Penn Station):
Sunday, May 17, 2015
Hudson, NY (HUD) to New York, NY - Penn Station (NYP)
4:30pm - 6:45pm, duration 2 hr, 15 min 244 Empire Service
6:40pm - 8:50pm, duration 2 hr, 10 min 68 Adirondack Service
7:40pm - 9:50pm, duration 2 hr, 10 min 64 Maple Leaf Service
We are pleased to offer a discounted train fare for our guests:
Amtrak offers a 10% discount off the best available rail fare to (Hudson, NY) between (May 14, 2015 – May 20, 2015). To book your reservation call Amtrak at 1 (800) 872-7245 or contact your local travel agent. Please note the discounted fare cannot be booked via Internet. Please be sure to refer to Convention Fare Code X51W-927 when making your reservation. This offer is not valid on the Auto Train and Acela Service. Fare is valid on Amtrak Regional for all departures seven days a week, except for holiday blackouts. Offer valid with Sleepers, Business Class or First Class seats with payment of the full applicable accommodation charges.
Driving directions to The School from NYC
Driving directions to The School from NYC:
1. Henry Hudson Pkwy N. (go 0.34 miles)
2. Merge onto Saw Mill River Pkwy N via the exit on the left. (go 16.09 miles)
3. Merge onto Taconic State Pkwy N via EXIT 26 toward Albany. (go 76.81 miles)
4. Exit at NY-82 Ancram/Hudson, bear right on exit ramp. (go 5.15 miles)
5. At light, go right onto Route 9H and 23. Continue to follow NY-9H.
6. Exit right onto route 21-Kinderhook (this is about a mile past the Martin Van Buren house)
7. At stop sign, go right, follow 21 over the bridge and up to the traffic light.
8. Go left at the traffic light
9. The School will be on the left, just past the church.
Driving directions to The School from Hudson
1. Start out going southeast on Columbia St/NY-23B/NY-9G toward N 5th St. Continue to follow Columbia St/NY-23
2. Turn slight left onto Green St/US-9 N/NY-23B
3. Take the 3rd left onto Fairview Ave/US-9N. Continue to follow US-9 N
4. Arrive at 25 Broad St on the right
Columbia County Regional Airport
Driving directions to The School from Columbia County Airport, 1142 New York 9H, Ghent, NY 12075
1. Start out going north on State Route 9H/NY-9H toward Lower Post Rd. (go 7.15 miles)
2. Turn right. - 0.9 miles past Fischer Rd
3. Take the 1st right onto McCagg Rd/County Hwy-21. Continue to follow County Hwy-21.
4. Turn left onto Broad St/US-9 S.
5. 25 BROAD ST is on the left.
LOCAL CAR AND TAXI SERVICES:
Green Bee We Taxi & Errand Service
S Taxi Inc.
Budget Accomodations and Hotels
In Valatie, about 5 minutes from Kinderhook:
In Chatham, about 15 minutes from Kinderhook:
The Chatham B&B: http://www.thechathambandb.com/